Thursday, April 26, 2012

Fitness Apps for Health N00bs

Even though its been a while since my last post, let's continue with the fitness theme shall we? You know what? I'll even go so far as to call it Fitness WEEK at Dungeons and Diamonds, especially since I have a sweet Fitness/Health Blogger interview tomorrow with someone who knows her stuff!

Today I'm going to tell you about  two sweet fitness apps to help get you motivated to be healthier, stronger... and harder to kill in the event of an zombie attack.


1.) MyFitnessPal (MFP)

MyFitnessPal is a FREE utility available as both a website and a mobile phone application (I have it for the iPhone) that tracks your calories, nutrients, and exercise. When I first started using MFP, I decided to log every single thing I ate without really changing my diet, so I could assess how close I was to meeting my recommended numbers. I was really surprised at my excess calorie intake, and realized how much little unhealthy snacks and drinks add up. I think MFP is an excellent tool for staying on track with your healthy eating goals. The interface is very user friendly, and I've had no trouble in finding the brand specific foods and various fruits, meats, and veggies that I like to eat. There is even an option to enter in your own unique recipes. Visit MyFitnessPal.com to create an account and find inspiration/support/advice on their message boards.


2.) Zombies, Run!

Zombies, Run! is an "ulta-immersive running game" currently available on iPhone, iTouch, and Android. You play the part of Runner 5, who must run further and further in order to collect supplies to rebuild your home base. As you are running, you will hear the guttural and far too near sounding zombie noises from your headphones. There are several missions you can play and you learn more of the story behind the zombies as you run and build your collection of medicine, weapons, and food. This app is a bit expensive, at $7.99 but I think you get a lot of value for your money. And it's cheaper than a gym membership or a treadmill.





And for some laughs, here are a few fitness tips from Captain Picard.

See my previous health and fitness related posts here:
Pick a Palette- Poison Ivy [Running]
D&D Chocolate Peanut Butter Milkshake 
Tough Mudder Recap
The Juice Must Flow
To Mordor
Pump up the Jam
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme created by PIXELZINE