Thursday, May 6, 2010

Pump up the Jam

Image:  http://paleolife365.wordpress.com


Promoting a healthy, active lifestyle, is something that I've been striving to do for the last several years. (And at the very least I want to be prepared to outrun zombies.) In my opinion, the best way to do that is to lead by example. This week I've been evaluating my fitness levels (or lack thereof) and have decided to make some small daily changes that I know I'll be able to keep up with. Now, I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. But I'm going to share the things that I've learned from experience. 

  1. Small Changes make a Big Impact- By trying to change everything all at once, you are only setting yourself up for failure. (Especially if you have a lot of other things going on in your life.) Today, for example, I forgot my lunch, so I went to Subway and chose apple slices instead of chips. When I go to visit my colleagues on other floors, i try to take the stairs. It's easier for me to make things a habit when I start small. 
  2. Be Active- Something as simple as taking a walk around your neighborhood or going for a bike ride will give you more energy and contribute to a healthier lifestyle. Activity doesn't always have to take place in a gym. It could be your backyard, a pool, or a park. Make it fun! I take horseback riding and fencing, and am looking for a hip-hop dance class in my area. Want to ready yourself for a possible zombie apocalypse? Look up your nearest accredited martial arts studio or medieval sword-fighting instructor. (yes, they exist!) 
  3. Set realistic goals- Instead of saying "I want to lose X amount of pounds in X amount of days" or "I want to have a body like so-and-so" why don't you say to yourself "I want to be able to do 30 push-ups in a row," or "I want to be able to run a 5K." I used to say the aforementioned things to myself all the time when I was feeling down and out about my fitness. Now I just want to be stronger, faster, and appreciate my body for all the amazing things it can do. 
  4. Everything in Moderation- Let's keep it real here. I am not giving up sleeping in on Saturdays, lazy Sundays, french fries, cupcakes, beer, or pizza. But I always try to keep in mind how much and how frequently I have these things. It's easy when I'm active, because I always want to choose to do/eat things that make me feel good and give me energy.Moderation means I will never feel deprived.
My work-out must haves!
 Clockwise:
1. SIGG water bottle. This is a kid's version, but there are many more designs and sizes (here). Good for the environment and keeps water cool. Also at your local Wegmans or Whole Foods grocery stores.
2. iPod video. This is an older version, and really any portable music player will do. I like how light-weight this is. (here)
3. Herban Essentials Wipes: These come in packs, with scents like Peppermint, Lemon, Eucalyptus and Lavender. These are really refreshing after working out, and awesome in the summer as a general anti-bacterial, all natural wipe. I got my packs at Marshalls for $4, but you can also purchase them online (here).
4. Nike training gloves. My hands get very sweaty, so I HAVE to have these when I lift. (here)
5. Towel from my linen closet. :)



Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme created by PIXELZINE